Retailers within the Broadmead Bristol BID area pay a levy, part of which pays for enhanced cleansing including the removal of chewing gum and it is hoped that this project will result in cleaner streets in Broadmead and will save money which can be spent on other things which will benefit all BID businesses. This a great project to be undertaking in the year Bristol is European Green Capital. Jo Hawkins, Broadmead BID manager.
The Broadmead BID team launched a new campaign to educate and inspire the people of Bristol to dispose of their gum responsibly through recycling; this innovative campaign was launched on 9th April at The Podium in Broadmead, between 11am – 3pm, and continued until the end of July.
Three further events also took place, all in Broadmead, on:
– Saturday 9th May, 11am – 3pm
– Saturday 20th June. 11am – 3pm
– Saturday 25th July, 11am – 3pm
At the first three events customers were entertained by fantastic street performances arranged by LitterARTI, a Bristol based Arts Collective, and were offered a ‘Gumdrop’ in which they were asked to place their used gum and deposit it in one of four specially-branded chewing gum recycling points at The Podium, in the centre of Broadmead. All Gumdrops received were entered into a free prize draw to win a £500 shopping voucher to spend in any two shop of their choice in Bristol Shopping Quarter. The lucky winner was Michelle Duncan who was randomly selected during the final event on Saturday 25th July, well done Michelle!
The amount of chewing gum removed from test sites in Broadmead was monitored before, during and after. The results displayed an overall decrease in gum litter in individual sites.
Competition terms & conditions:
- The winner must be over 18 years or if under 18 years will have been given permission to enter the competition by a parent and/or guardian.
- The winner will be selected at random from all gumdrops returned.
- The winner will be contacted by Destination Bristol by Wednesday 29th July 2015. The winner will be asked to choose up to 4 stores within Bristol Shopping Quarter from which to receive vouchers totaling £500.
- The vouchers must be collected from Destination Bristol’s offices by Friday 28th August 2015.
For more information about this campaign or about the Broadmead BID, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about Gumdrop, please contact: email@example.com